New Forum Software Has Been Deployed! If You Have Any Issues With Logging In, Please Reset Your Password, Or Contact [email protected].

Sentai Versus Rangers

edited May 2012 in General Discussion
Okay so i've doing some more Sentai watching this is what i've seen so far

Zyuranger eps 1-5 and the final
Kakuranger ep 1
Ohranger ep 1
Carranger ep 1
Megaranger ep 1
Timeranger ep 1 and another couple from when Captain something arrives in 2000 from year 3000
Shinkenger ep 1 and 2 and couple others
Goseiger ep 1
Gokaiger ep 1-9 and the final ep.
Gokaiger v Goseiger 199 hero battle.

so based on what i've seen so far i generally find Super Sentai is actually a superior series to its PR counter part except in two circumstances.

Power Rangers IS and TF for me are the best two PR series and for me are better than the MR and TR series.

IS had the dramatic final quest of the Zordan era, it had the andros-astronema subplot its my fave series and comparing its first two eps to Megaranger 1st ep its a lot better for me, sure it has its cheesy american aspects but hey i don't mind that in small doses.

TF is probably the best written series with best plots and characters it sits second behind IS due to i prefer IS big final battle and it was a perfect end to the Zordan Era. now having viewed a few eps of Timeranger ive seen there is a lot more differences than i though to TF and whilst its good i prefer TF's approach the Alex, Jenn and Wes triangle is fantastic its on par if not better than Kimberly and Tommy. i'd also add Ransik is a fantastic villain and his story arc rivals astronema's for best villain to redemption arc, these elements are missing from Timerranger and thats slightly disappointing for me.

and my final comment is it seems PR series are stronger when they are less like the sentai series i don't know if this always the case but with IS and TF they have a lot of differences from the sentai counterpart while poor Ranger series like Samurai rely too much on the sentai

Comments

• I agree with pretty much every thing you said, except for the Time Force thing. As much as I love Time Force, timeranger is a much more superior series. Last thing, I'd suggest you watch the whole series before you start making easily flammable posts :P. For Sentai to PR comparison

MMPRS1 > Zyu(Boring series)
    MMPRS2 < DaiRanger
    Can't compare Kaku and MMPRS3, because I haven't seen Kaku
    Zeo > OhRanger(OhRanger failed due to various events in Japan that year causing the writer to drastically change the dark tone of the first 11 - 12 episodes)
    CarRanger >>>>>>>> Turbo. CarRanger is a massive success, its funny as hell and its a self parody, while Turbo nearly killed Power Ranger
    In Space > MegaRanger - In Space is the best of the Zordon era, while Megaranger is just average. And this is from a Megaranger fan :D
    GingaMan > Lost Galaxy - Lost Galaxy is a great series, but Gingaman is slightly better for me
    Can't compare Lightspeed and GoGoV, because I haven't seen GoGoV
    Timeranger > Time Force - This is a very close one, but I prefer Timeranger, mostly because of the battlizer(which I hate). If Time Force didn't have that, it'd much closer.
    Wild Force < GaoRanger - Gao is average for a Sentai, and Wild Force is a carbon copy with bad acting. But Wild Force's redeeming point is Reinforcement from the Future, which is IMO one of the best team-up episode of all time, for both sentai and PR. The Battleizer for this season is the only I can tolerate.
    Hurricanger > Ninja Storm - I enjoyed Ninja Storm, but Hurricanger is one of my favorite 21st century Sentai. And Hurricanger has Nao Nagasawa :D.
    Dino Thunder = Abaranger - Abaranger is an odd season, but its enjoyable nevertheless. Dino Thunder is a great season aswell, only let down by the White Ranger arc, and Connor's battlelizer T_T.
    Haven't seen enough SPD and Deka to comment
    MagiRanger > Mystic Force - Mystic Force is a great Disney Season, but it doesn't compare to Magiranger :P.
    Boukenger > Operation Overdrive - Like Wild Force and Gao, the sentai is average and the PR is bad bad baaad.
    Gekiranger > Jungle Fury - Sunglasses morpher pff. Other then that, OK season
    RPM > Go-Onger - RPM is great, while Go-Onger is a boring season.
    Shinkenger >>>>>>>>>>> Samurai by a VERY long shot. Shinkenger is the best Sentai Season of this decade so far, while Samurai, is just bad. Bad acting, Shogun Mode, mindless copy of Sentai plot, and Saban's attempt to bring back the cheesy vibe of early PR.

• In general, sentai > pr, imo. There are some exceptions, namely, In Space and Lost Galaxy. From what I've seen of Gingaman, it isn't that appealing. Lost Galaxy is one of my favorite seasons. Megaranger is good, but In Space has the whole awesome finale thing going on, so I'll say they're roughly equal, because they really are very different in terms of plot.

Time Force and Timeranger aren't that different in terms of plot, although I think they're both very good. Another pair that's roughly equal in quality. I have to disagree that RPM is better than Go-onger. Go-onger is so much better than RPM. RPM was okay until they introduced Gold and Silver. Those two were unbearably annoying in RPM. Go-on Wings were much better characters.
  • you've watched a lot of Sentai dude :o i haven't watched very much but i must sayi like both equally. But Power Rangers will always be number one because i grew up with without knowing about Sentai.
  • Lost Galaxy is one of my top PR season, and Gingaman is one of those more traditional dark sentai that you have to get used to, if you only saw this decade sentai so far. But RPM >>>>>>> Go-Onger. Go-Onger is Toei's attempt to bring back the self parody humour of Carranger and Kakuranger, but you can see they're trying too hard, which make it just weird. Carranger and Kakuranger humour, while zaniness, got that cheesy charm like early Mighty Morphin.
  • I saw some of kakuranger so far I like it better then mmpr s3
  • I wish i had all the Sentai's so i could watch them. XD
  • @ Dubby

http://www.youtube.com/user/RRSAlabama?feature=g-all-s

check out that guys YT channel i've been using it recently to see eps that i hadn't seen before.

it could be a good starting base for you

there's also Goseiger v Gokaiger 199 hero movie in full on YT if you search for it, i loved it!
  • @Dubby Honestly, download the episodes from KRDL then watching it on youtube. You're essentially downloading the same amounts of data, but the KRDL one is higher quality, and you can keep it for rewatching. I'd suggest you watch the following first:

Shinkenger - Get the ShinkenAnon version for 1 - 32, then TV-Nihon for 33- 49
    Gekiranger - TV-Nihon
    Magiranger - ShinkenAnon for the first 24 episodes, then TV-Nihon
    DaiRanger - TV-Nihon

Those are fully subbed, and if your internet is good enough for NetFlix, you can download 5 - 6 episodes while you're watching one.