New Forum Software Has Been Deployed! If You Have Any Issues With Logging In, Please Reset Your Password, Or Contact [email protected].

New Power Rangers Movie In The Works - Official Discussion

Figured I'd make a thread dedicated to the new movie that's in the works. There is not a lot of information available at the moment, since the deal was recently announced. What are your thoughts on this development, and how the movie should be made? Returning rangers? Discuss here!

Here are a few articles

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/lionsgate-sets-power-rangers-movie-1201174102/
http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/07/power-rangers-movie-lionsgate/
http://www.mtv.com/news/1821332/power-rangers-movie/
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/07/new-power-rangers-movie-announced

Comments

• I would definitely like to see JDF included in the movie. He basically carried the show throughout the years, and has stood by it. As for anyone else, they aren't so much of a necessity for me.

As for the movie itself, i'd love to see a darker feel. Maybe the first movie ending in a dark way, like a ranger dying, or them losing their powers, and the story carrying over to the next movie (A series of movies hasn't technically been announced, but it's a given).

This sort've ties into my last point. We NEED a great villian, not just the usual villian that they kill off at the end of the movie, but a villian that actually gives them trouble, and makes the world actually believe that they are in danger. I wouldn't mind having them "think" that they kill the villian at the end, but in actuality, he's still alive.

Ron Wasserman doing the score? Yes please!

PG-13 rating is a must.

I have a lot more thoughts, but need time to collect them.
  • edited May 2014
    I would definitely like to see JDF included in the movie. He basically carried the show throughout the years, and has stood by it. As for anyone else, they aren't so much of a necessity for me.

As for the movie itself, i'd love to see a darker feel. Maybe the first movie ending in a dark way, like a ranger dying, or them losing their powers, and the story carrying over to the next movie (A series of movies hasn't technically been announced, but it's a given).

This sort've ties into my last point. We NEED a great villian, not just the usual villian that they kill off at the end of the movie, but a villian that actually gives them trouble, and makes the world actually believe that they are in danger. I wouldn't mind having them "think" that they kill the villian at the end, but in actuality, he's still alive.
    I agree with you about having JFD in it. Power Rangers dying is a bit too dark for Power Rangers. I they lose their powers, that takes away some Ranger fun from the movie (see MMPR 1995 movie). A great villain would be great, even though no villain will be better than Mesogog. The Power Rangers could use a cool-lookin villain with a genius plan that keeps everyone guessing and make the viewers believe that they are a great threat and the world is in grave danger. Then have him seem dead, but actually be alive to cause trouble again would be nice.

Although, the 1995 MMPR did some of the things you mentioned. It had JDF (though it needed him as Green Ranger and it needed Jason, Billy, Zack, Trini, and Kimberly), it had the Rangers losing their powers (which made the movie suck), and it had Zordon's death (which added a twist to Power Rangers). The new Power Rangers movie would need something "new".

I've said the following before in a different discussion and I'll say it again here so I don't miss anyone.
    I've only heard bits and pieces about it. I don't know the plot, cast, etc. Hopefully this movie will have the original 6 Rangers (Jason, Billy, Zack, Trini, Kimberly, Tommy) I don't care who they cast for the parts so long as they keep Jason David Frank as Tommy. Noone does Tommy better than him. He IS Tommy. They better have Green Ranger this time.
    Once they do a movie with Jason, Billy, Zack, Trini, Kimberly, Tommy (as Green Ranger), then it would be fine to do a movie with Rocky, Billy, Adam, Aisha, Kimberly, and Tommy (as White Ranger).
    Remember how the last MMPR movie turned out?

MMPR (1995) A giant egg is unearthed in Angel Grove. Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa investigate the egg, and release the creature inside - Ivan Ooze, whom Zordon had trapped him inside the egg six thousand years ago. Once released, Ooze left to seek revenge on Zordon. And now Zordon in his crystalline deathbed is dying because he has no power, without the power then Zordon of Eltar will never existed. Now the fate of the universe is in the hands of Tommy, Kimberly, Adam, Billy, Rocky and Aisha. But this time the Power Rangers head for a distant planet to gain the power needed to defeat Ivan Ooze.

• I agree with you about having JFD in it. Power Rangers dying is a bit too dark for Power Rangers. I they lose their powers, that takes away some Ranger fun from the movie (see MMPR 1995 movie). A great villain would be great, even though no villain will be better than Mesogog. The Power Rangers could use a cool-lookin villain with a genius plan that keeps everyone guessing and make the viewers believe that they are a great threat and the world is in grave danger. Then have him seem dead, but actually be alive to cause trouble again would be nice.

Although, the 1995 MMPR did some of the things you mentioned. It had JDF (though it needed him as Green Ranger and it needed Jason, Billy, Zack, Trini, and Kimberly), it had the Rangers losing their powers (which made the movie suck), and it had Zordon's death (which added a twist to Power Rangers). The new Power Rangers movie would need something "new".
    It really depends on what audience they are making the movie for. If they are making it to compete with the current superhero movies, and with the same rating, a death isn't really out of the question. Plenty of recent superhero movies have killed off cast members, so I don't think it would be that farfetched. As for mesogog, i'm right with you there, great villian.

Yeah, I pretty much took the aspects that I loved from the first movie, or at least a few of them, and mentioned it here. Only because I thought that they were done really well. In all honestly, even the villian was great, Ooze practically killed every child's parents, which is pretty dark already.

Also, Zordon was brought back to life, so it wasn't really as dark as I want it to be. I even think that them losing their powers, or at least one of them, wouldn't be bad, although it was done in the first movie. I mean, it's practically been done in every successful superhero movie, at one point or another, and it usually seems to work.

Anyway, besides all of that. I do agree that they should keep those original names, as they are the most well known, and i'll help draw in an audience, and won't piss anyone off.
  • I really do hope they use the Super megaforce cast for this 3rd film. iwill like it will fit well since its going back to its roots theme like mmpr, 20th anniversary. iwould love to see this cast in the big screen keeping the mmpr movie theme but with a little original twists/story/villians etc.. I feel it would work perfectly if the movie follows the show after it ends..

They can make Lord Zedd Rita Vrak Prince Vekar and his Father come back to the movie as the main villains (Maybe work together to destroy the rangers). and use the Original mmpr cast as mentors/guidance (they can be the Dulcea in the movie) to help them in the quest to get their powers back!..

Like I said ifeel like the cast should be the super megaforce cast why? and is will be better since what saban is going for is attracting kids from this new generation and like this movie. That's why having familiar faces like the original mmprs and the recent powerangers cast can attract both older fans and young fans now! instead of casting complete strangers..
  • edited December 2016
    @iFresh having Lord Zedd Rita Vrak Prince Vekar and his Father might only work if they show Vrak, Vekar, and their dad (Emperor Mavro) for a few minutes. They can't have them fight the MMPR Rangers, that might ruin the Ranger world and their chronological order. I do agree with making "original twists/story/villain" though.

Speaking of a Power Rangers movie, does anyone think this would have been a good one?
  • What do you mean by "would have"?

It's actually been successfully funded on kickstarter, and it's being made as we speak.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1953801310/mmpr-a-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-fan-film

https://www.youtube.com/user/MMPRfilm/videos

Anyway, judging by the first teasers/trailer, I think it looks great.
  • Are you serious? It's being made? Morphinominal!
  • Totally serious. Problem is, Saban may demand that it stop production, just so it doesn't interfere with their movie. But, seeing as it's a smaller fan-film, hopefully they don't waste their time targeting it, and just let it be made.
  • Totally serious. Problem is, Saban may demand that it stop production, just so it doesn't interfere with their movie. But, seeing as it's a smaller fan-film, hopefully they don't waste their time targeting it, and just let it be made.
    They'll target it alright. They don't care how small it is.
  • Sheesh. They should let the fan-film be first in line instead of cutting in.
  • Sheesh. They should let the fan-film be first in line instead of cutting in.
    They'll think that's bad for business.
  • well the fan made version shown above is now in post production as of 23 september this year. so it shouldn't be that much longer before its out
  • You guys should see what Rita Repulsa looks like in the new movie. She looks like a green version of Scorpina.
  • I have heard some information on the new Saban movie. From what I have heard it is going to be a complete reboot of the original series. New actors casted for Trini, Kimberly, Billy. Zack and Jason. No Tommy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3717490/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

According to imdb the release date is scheduled for March 24th, 2017.