New Forum Software Has Been Deployed! If You Have Any Issues With Logging In, Please Reset Your Password, Or Contact [email protected].

Arrobane's Top 10's: Power Ranger Mentors

edited December 2011 in General Discussion
Hey, everybody! I’m Arrobane!

Like a few members of the forum, I’ve been a HUGE fan of Power Rangers since the first airing back in the early nineties. I also like comparing notes with other fans to see all kinds of perspectives on not just our favorite groups of color-coded heroes, but the Zords, weapons, etc. So, I thought to myself. How is the best way I can do that?

That’s where this comes in: Arrobane’s Top 10’s!

Every so often I will write up a top 10 list of a random topic for Power Rangers. So, let’s get started with my first of hopefully many Top 10 lists. This one is for the Top 10 Mentor Characters.

Every series has a mentor. From the biggest floating heads to the smallest of rodents, they’ve guided the rangers through thick and thin. Some of them in more direct ways than others. But, this intro is getting long enough anyway. So, let’s get right into it.

Comments

• Number 10: Spencer from Operation Overdrive

This guy is probably one of the most overlooked. With Andrew Hartford being so busy with Operation Overdrive, Spencer was one of the biggest advisors to the rangers. He bent over backwards to do whatever was asked of him, and then went further. He gave Mack a glorious reality check when the team found out he was an android. And, he even got down and dirty, and placed himself in the action a couple of times. Although, he complained about his pay and his job a few times. But, who doesn’t? Spencer is just another reminder that you don’t need to be the big boss to make a big difference.

Number 9: Alphas 5 and 6 from Various Seasons

Yeah, I now that placing 2 characters in one spot is a little bit of a cheat. But, the way they assisted their teams is pretty much the same. Sure, they barely left the Command Center, or wherever they were stationed. But, both of them helped the rangers understand what was going on. These guys were more than just techies. They were friends, guides, and occasionally, they were the saving grace for solving the episode’s problem. Here’s to you, my metal amigos!

Number 8: Ji from Samurai

I have to admit one thing. Ji knows how to make an entrance cool. During Origins Part 1, he held the herald’s position with near perfection. His knowledge of the Nighlok and the Zords really comes in handy when they are discovered. Don’t get me started on the Shark Zord. That was just ONE of the things that bugged me in Clash of the Red Rangers. All around he’s pretty much an old fashioned samurai clan retainer, but how often do you see someone in samurai robes riding a sweet motorcycle? Rock on, Ji. Rock on.

Number 7: Captain Mitchell from Lightspeed Rescue

Captain Mitchell was the first mentor to truly lead by example. And, he wasn’t even a ranger! His experience as a firefighter and the head of Lightspeed Rescue’s aquabase had him rather established as a respected commander. We even find out in A Face from the Past that he was Carter’s inspiration to become a firefighter. He trained right along with Carter in the episode. Plus, he recruits his own children to become rangers. I know that’s a little reckless, but if that’s not faith in his team, I don’t know what is. Mitchell, you’re right. You still got it.

Number 6: Doctor K from RPM

This is the best example of atonement I have seen in a long time. After being kidnapped at a young age and being forced to make a world-destroying super virus in a government lab, Doctor K uses another one of her childhood science projects, the Rangers, to combat it. While she relies on the team to get things done, she does everything she can to make sure that they stay safe and one step ahead of Venjix. All while chowing down on a pack of marshmallows. A repentant genius with a sweet tooth, Doctor K is definitely worthy of a top spot.
  • Number 5: Daggeron from Mystic Force

I have to admit I almost have a weakness for mentors that also serve as rangers. But, even with that aside, Daggeron still shows us that it’s possible to throw in a good mix of old and new tricks. He takes time with each individual ranger to show them how to be better not just in battle, but in real life, too. He even uses the rangers’ different backgrounds and hobbies to teach them. He taught Maddy a lesson while he was still a frog! Make a wish and give a kiss. Daggeron is a great teacher from more than one time period.

Number 4: Commander Anubis “Doggie” Cruger from SPD

Doggie was probably the first example of a ranger with a really sad backstory. Having lost his wife early on in his ranger career, he went up the ranks to become the head of S.P.D. on Earth. Another “lead by example” scenario, Cruger shows that you can teach an old dog more than just a few new tricks. After becoming the Shadow Ranger, he still shows the rangers that they can still fight well without him. And, he knows when he needs to up the ante, like when he sent the team to get their SWAT training. A lot can be said about this canine samurai. Give this dog a bone!

Number 3: Tommy Oliver from Various Series

Let’s face it. Tommy is going to be one of the most recurring characters in ANY top 10 Power Ranger list. He’s had more cameos, more screen time, and more development, than any other ranger to date. So, you can see why Disney brought him in to train the team from Dino Thunder. He uses his own experiences as a ranger to guide these new teens on the use of their new skills. Even Cruger acknowledges him as legendary. Tommy also shows a lot of compassion and understanding when Trent was transitioning from bad to good. Some say over-rated, some say the best. Tommy still has what it takes to raise his team to the occasion.

Number 2: Robert “RJ” James from Jungle Fury

RJ is probably the most laid-back of mentors. But, he throws in quite a few age-old lessons that can still be used today. Sure, there are a few clichés in his methods, but he knows what to say, when to say it, and how to put it in a way that the rangers can think for themselves. But, every great teacher still needs to learn a lesson. RJ once lost control of his animal spirit and eventually became a werewolf. It was not until Fran showed him that he had all the help he needed from the team that he was able to control it and become a ranger, himself. Sit back, relax, and enjoy. RJ knows the way to enlightenment.

Number 1: Zordon

You can’t really say enough about our favorite head in a jar. He’s the reason the rangers are around in the first place. Zordon knows what it takes to win and how to obtain it. If he doesn’t know something already, he provides a way to find out. We might all remember when he sent Tommy and Jason to recover the Thunder Slingers from some mountain and then GAVE THEM Titanus because they had to fight it for the slingers. He also knew when it was necessary to make the ultimate sacrifice, telling Andros to destroy him in order to stop the evil siege all over the galaxy. Now that’s commitment to the powers of good. Rest in Peace, Zordon! You’ll never be forgotten.
  • And there you have some of the best teachers in Power Rangers. I hope to do this a little more often, so let me know what you think. I know this one was a little rushed. Maybe even a little sloppy. The holiday season and a few other things going on have had me pretty busy. So, this will not have been one of my better lists. Also, I’d be happy to see where you would agree or disagree with my picks. Everyone has an opinion, so let’s hear yours. Also, feel free to request what kind of top 10 lists you’d like to see. If I can get a good one going, I’ll certainly love to do it. And, constructive criticism is always appreciated. Thanks for reading!
  • Wow, great work! Very thought out, that's for sure. I know this isn't a voting discussion, but if i were to pick, between the 10, Tommy would be my number 1, that's for sure.
  • Thanks, PRP. That means a lot. I'm hoping to make the next one a little better. There was SO MUCH MORE that I could have written, but there was just so little time to do it.
  • I can't really come up with a list, but I've got to say that this has me thinking that what might contribute to making In Space so great is that for the first time the Rangers didn't really have a mentor. Maybe you could argue that Alpha filled that role, but it seems like they were really forced to think entirely for themselves usually coming down to Andros and TJ

Anyways though, I'll say Captain Mitchell was definitely one of the better ones and of course Zordon has to be a top pick
  • Very well thought out, I'm looking forward to reading more of these.

I agree with you on pretty much all of it.
  • 1 zordon
    2 tommy
    3 rocky / jason
    4 ninjor
    5 andros
    6 eric
    7 Captain Mitchell
    8 anibus "doggie" cruger
    9 daggron
    10 gi
  • I can't really come up with a list, but I've got to say that this has me thinking that what might contribute to making In Space so great is that for the first time the Rangers didn't really have a mentor. Maybe you could argue that Alpha filled that role, but it seems like they were really forced to think entirely for themselves usually coming down to Andros and TJ

Anyways though, I'll say Captain Mitchell was definitely one of the better ones and of course Zordon has to be a top pick

In Space is the one of the main reasons Alpha is on there as a mentor. Turbo had a bit to do with it, too.

Alisha, thank you very much for the compliment. I'm taking requests for more lists.
  • I wouldnt even put Ji at number 8 but thats just me