New Forum Software Has Been Deployed! If You Have Any Issues With Logging In, Please Reset Your Password, Or Contact [email protected].

Why split PR Samurai and PR Megaforce into 2 seasons with 20 episodes?

edited October 2012 in General Discussion
Super Sentai Shinkenger was one long season, but saban used it to make 2 seasons of Power Rangers Samurai. It could have been one long season with 40 episodes, but he chose to make it last 2 seasons with only 2 seasons. Why?
Super Sentai Goseiger was a long season too. Saban is using it for Power Ranger Megaforce. Then, Super Sentai Gokaiger will be used in PRM season 2. If Goseiger is only being used for season 1, and Gokaiger for season 2, then why lower them to 20 episodes each season? It could go on for longer. And why make Megaforce into 2 seasons?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    @PRThunder It wasn't entirely his idea. That's just how Nickelodeon works. If you want something on there, you're only getting 20ish episodes so if we only got 1 season of Samurai, it would have been even more shorter than the Disney seasons.

He is just adapting better with the Nickelodeon schedule so he can still adapt Gokaiger in an anniversary season so it wouldn't have been done until 2015 in order to see it. Not much point to pump up the Gokai Changes if there's no longer an anniversary.
  • and the Sentai series weren't long, they were pretty normal in their length.
  • edited October 2012
    @DekaBlue Precisely plus Power Rangers has never used every episode from Sentai to begin with. The first season of Mighty Morphin is actually the only one to use every single monster from its counterpart... at least as far as I'm aware of anyway.
  • Because Nickelodeon is dumb and like to ruin good things.
  • @Dubby Personally while I wouldn't use the word 'dumb' to describe what they do even though it is dumb, I personally find that they're just stuck in their ways. Most of their shows aren't like Power Rangers yet they think they can air it like a lot of their shows such as SpongeBob, iCarly, etc. yet that is what ruined a lot of their shows such as "The Troop."
  • But unfortunately, that just how the cookie crumbles. Personally, I wish for a full season of PRS but there is nothing much we can do about it. But hopefully Saban will move from Nick to Vortexx cause when I was in America in the summer and I saw Vortexx, I knew it would be perfect for Power Rangers. Obviously, I was PRLG every weekend.
  • edited October 2012
    Yes. Power Rangers would do much better on Vortexx. Nickelodeon ruined the Samurai series by forcing Saban to split it in half. Super Samurai is a dumb name for the series since the only relevance the word "Super Smaurai" has is to the new mode the Rangers got by using the Black Box. I wonder what they will come up with for Megaforce season 2
  • edited October 2012
    I don't think Power Rangers would "do better" on Vortexx for the simple reason that barely anyone watches the networks' kid show blocks anymore - they watch all-kid cable channels like Nick instead. Compounding the problem is that Vortexx is a block on the CW, which is THE least-watched major network.

Power Rangers Lost Galaxy is getting about 0.66 million viewers on Vortexx. The Samurai franchise averages around 1.6 million on Nick. Even Vortexx's highest-rated show is only getting a little over half of Samurai's average viewers.

Moving it exclusively to a network programming block is a good way to kill the franchise, and HAS killed it once before - after Toon Disney stopped playing PR and it was an ABC Family exclusive, the ratings nosedived and the series was cancelled. Saban's buy-back and the airings on Nick are what saved it.
  • @UFAlien That is a valid point. It would definitely be better if Samurai was on an all-kid cable channel. But it is no good on Nick as it had to be split into two seasons. But this brings to an interesting question: Does Nicktoons also do this two seasons split or do they present the whole season in one year?
  • NickToons probably isn't a great idea either. Almost all their shows that weren't also from other channels or networks ended or went on indefinite "hiatus" after just 26 episodes. The only exception is Kappa Mikey, which lasted 2 seasons and had 52 episodes total.

And the ratings for the Power Rangers old-season reruns on NickToons have been dismal - worse than Vortexx. Power Rangers Time Force only got about 200,000 viewers in its August marathon - a third of Lost Galaxy on Vortexx. And only 57 million American homes even GET NickToons - way down on Vortexx's 114 million. Admittedly, a new series might draw better numbers - but there's even less of an audience on NickToons than Vortexx, and besides, their seasons aren't much longer at all. Nickelodeon is really just the best place for the show right now. The only viable alternative is Cartoon Network (Samurai was running about even in the ratings with the new Thundercats as of May).
  • I hate that we have to get 20 episodes each season thanks to Nickelodeon. They should change their rules about how many episodes there are