New Forum Software Has Been Deployed! If You Have Any Issues With Logging In, Please Reset Your Password, Or Contact [email protected].

Power Rangers Samurai/Super Samurai (Power Rangers or Not?)

After Power Rangers RPM ended, I felt as though my life was complete, but I didn't want it to end and I had a feeling the Power Rangers would return.... and they did, in the form of Power Rangers Samurai. I'm glad to have the Rangers back, but for some reason, I don't feel like these guys are indeed Power Rangers. They have the name, and the cool theme songs, and the zords, but they don't seem to be Power Rangers as we knew them. Can anyone tell me why this is so?

Comments

• Because they rely too heavily on the Sentai, barely have any great original plots, drive any running gag into the dirt, and don't really characterize the Rangers? No? That's just my opinion? Ok, then.
  • edited May 2012
    @Nightmere10 you are right, Samurai & Super Samurai doesn't have the right feel for a Power Rangers season as the rangers don't have much of a background story and it seem to me too forced, but what can we do? Saban is trying to save money yes but after gaining back control over PR, you would think that they will try to woo back the fans?

All well, Hopefully, the next PR season will be more original!
  • edited May 2012
    Let's just hope that all this will lead to a good finale for the Samurai Rangers, but why don't the Nighloks ever call them "The Power Rangers"? Why do they call them the "Samurai Rangers"? It makes me feel like I'm watching a different show. At least the zords were good. They finally didn't use the name "Ultra-zord", they created the "Giga-zord". The need to give the characters more backround and stop turning adults into Power Rangers. If the show started with "teenagers with attitude", then stick with it. The only teens on the team is Mike and Emily. At least Antonio embodies the true Power Ranger spirit, unlike his teammates. The way he got his powers was right way, but the other guys get Ranger powers through DNA? And because that power existed for centuries, it destroyed something we knew for years: that the MMPR was the very 1st team. With Samurai, MMPR is no longer the very 1st team! After that, they wasted the Shogun mode. It could have been a good battleizer, but they made it useless. Oh, I almost forgot, the Samurai Rangers ride on horses! RPM RED was right. They are old school. I thought Power Rangers were supposed to get stronger every year, but Samurai is like so many centuries ago. What purpose does Bulk and Spike have here? They don't know the Rangers, they get crazy ideas, and what they do doesn't seem to fit with this. And why don't they give Xandred a more boss-like personality? To me, he's about as much of a leader as Morticon from PRMF and he was only a pawn. He doesn't seem like a boss to me. Serrator has got him beat in the "evil leader" category. Plus Xandred's plan sucks. Just keep sending monsters to scare humans until the Sanzu River rises. Dai-Shi was able to get fear much better than Xandred. One more thing, the theme songs. The PRS theme song went well for PRS, but they used the same one for SUPER SAMURAI? They should have updates the song like this:
    GO GO POWER RANGERS
    GO GO POWER RANGERS
    RANGERS TOGETHER,
    SUPER SAMURAI FOREVERRRRRRRRRR
  • Fair point about the "Giga-zord" but "Ultra-zord" had a nice ring to it. Plus, I never noticed then call the "Samurai Rangers" till now so yeah. It can only get better from now on especially with the arrival of the Red Female Ranger, Lauren and the final battle.
  • I totally agree, it doesn't feel anything like PR. They basically just direct-translated a lot of their script from Sentai, so it doesn't seem right. Sure, they have a good theme song, but really, it's just a rip off of MMPR, they didn't put much effort into it. Also, At least Disney didn't make the show so childish, Samurai seems to be directed towards 2 year olds.
  • I thought Saban's return was a miracle, but it's turned into a disaster. He's forgotten the way it's done. He should read the "How to make a Power Rangers season" book. If you ask me Disney kept the show's rules, made many good seasons, brought Tommy back and made that season work. Saban's return has ruined everything that we knew as POWER RANGERS.
  • I feel like Saban took this approach to Samurai, "Let's see if people will watch the show" and proceeded to make the show as simple as possible, just to see if people would tune in, testing the waters to see if PR would be a big thing again and then say, "Well, people are watching, so let's do the next season right! Who cares about this one? We BSed it."
  • True but if they made PRS & PRSS more original and not directly-translated then they possible would have gain more views and fans. I don't like thinking that Saban has wasted a season of PR just to tested, it is not the true power ranger spirit.
  • Saban doesn't care about the "true Power Ranger spirit" He's a BUSINESSMAN! He just wants a way to make money! What better way to do that than have a 30 minute toy commercial with a crappy storyline? All he cares about is toy sales.
  • That is true but still could have made more money if they made it more original. One question are they actually going to make a battlizer for the red ranger or what? To me, it seems that it actually not going to happen & and what is the purpose of the shogun mode?
  • The purpose of Shogun Mode is to really just be used as a finisher attack, in my opinion. Unless they really do a big twist from Shinkenger and make a new weapon (like the Shogun Spear) for a battelizer, then more power to them. But, I really don't think we're getting a Battelizer this season.
  • that's a disappointment but i thought that might be the case. I just hope that the final battle and Jayden's secret would have a good plot to it. Other than that, I wouldn't as hocked to Samurai as much.
  • edited May 2012
    There are alotta things that could have made Samurai/Super Samurai better. Still, we trusted Saban to restore the balance and he let us down. I'm hoping he will do better.
  • edited May 2012
    I just finished watching PRSS episode 13 (The Master Returns) and I have to say that I think the Ranger spirit is finally returning to the show. Things are more dangerous now than ever. Master Xandred finally shows that he is boss, he has returned, Dayu has rejoined Xandred, and the Sanzu River is getting higher than ever, and now, with Xandred so dried up, Serrator's plan is revealed: Conquer Earth and the Netherworld. I knew Serrator was just another Deviot-type being. He's in for trouble when Xandred finally reawakens. Xandred already spent a year trying to rule the world, so I guess it's now the year of Serrator. Go to this discussion to see PRSS http://www.powerrangerplanet.org/forum/discussion/comment/5874#Comment_5874. And here is a video of the Rangers meeting Master Xandred for the 1st time since he returned from the depths of the Sanzu River (which was about 1 year ago) after many years of imprisonment, his fight with the Rangers, and his decent to the bottom of the Sanzu River (which makes me want him back for some reason even though he is an evil being).
  • i don't have an opinion i just watch the show and enjoy it for what it is.